Pursuant to art. 5 of the Law-Decree n°22 of March 1st, 2021, published in the Italian Official Journal n° 51 of March 1st , 2021, the Ministry of infrastructures and transport has been taken on the new name of “Ministry of sustainable infrastructures and mobility".
The Ministry of infrastructures and transport is responsible for a wide range of policy areas such as:
- planning, financing, implementing and managing the infrastructure networks of national interest as well as the public works falling under State responsibility;
- urban and housing policies also concerning both city systems and metropolitan areas;
- activities related to transport, viability and logistics on the Italian territory including:
- navigation, safety, maritime and inland waterway transport;
- civil aviation and air transport;
- road traffic, safety and land transport;
The Ministry, in performing its functions:
- collaborates with the Italian Coast Guard and the High Council of Public Works;
- acts in coordination with regional and local institutions also providing guidelines;
- handles international relations and agreements for Infrastructures and Transport sectors;
- guides, monitors and controls supervised or state-owned bodies as well as transport managers.